Rev. Kimberly Barker-Brugman
Although I am a Christian, I am available to people of all faiths. I am an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church (UMC) and am a member of the Virginia Annual Conference. I have a love for all things ecumenical and the spiritual life. I have served rural and suburban churches in up-state New York and in the Virginia Conference.
I graduated from the Methodist Theological School in Ohio with a Master of Divinity and a Master in Christian Education (1993).
I completed a two year spiritual direction school through the RUAH VI, at Richmond Hill Retreat Center in Richmond, VA. I am also a Stephen Ministry Leader.
As clergy I know about the lives and spiritual needs of clergy as well as their congregations. I have a heart for those who have been hurt by the church or lost their faith.
In my undergraduate degree from Ohio Wesleyan University I did a BA in Botany and a minor in Zoology. When asked about this change in vocation it seems like a natural step for me to move from studying the Creation to the Creator. Both have always been a part of my life. I love nature and often find I am closer to God in quiet time walking through the woods or fields or simply gazing at a garden of flowers or a bird in flight. “I love that Jesus was a healer. I believe God can heal the world, human beings, humanity, the Church, and people in many different ways. I believe in Jesus’ message of hope and peace for individuals, churches and the world.”
I married to Kevin Brugman in 1995 and we have two young adult sons: Jonathon and Jason. We have a great black lab mix named Kaliyah.
In my spare time I enjoy: knitting, crocheting, reading, photography, hiking, biking, traveling, scrap booking, and hanging out with the family.
2019 – Completed Spiritual Directors International Spiritual Supervision training with Lucy Abbott Tucker
2017-2019 – Missional Wisdom Foundation Launch and Lead Cohort – new monastic community and new ways to create churches
2011 – completed Veriditas training to be a Labyrinth Facilitator
2004-2006 – RUAH, School of Spiritual Direction, Richmond Hill Retreat Center, Richmond, VA
1989-1991 – Methodist Theological School in Ohio, Master of Divinity and a Master in Christian Education
1981-1985 – Ohio Wesleyan University, BA in Botany with a minor in Zoology
Experience in Spiritual Direction:
- Created Soul Story Ministries in 2013
- Spiritual Director for two General Conferences 2012 and 2016 of United Methodist Church Group Spiritual Director for group of United Methodist clergy in the process of seeking ordination, 2011-2013,
- Serving on Virginia United Methodist Church Board of Ordained Ministry as chair of Spiritual formation for ordained clergy, 2016 – to the present
- Spiritual Director for the Virginia 5 Day Academy of Spiritual Formation 2017 and Oct 2018 small group facilitator in 2016 and currently serving on the Board and Leadership Team
- Spiritual Director for a Youth Cartel Cohort led by Mark Oestreicher, 2016-2017
- Kindred Project, member of a contemplative prayer group of lay and clergy in the Virginia United Methodist Church
- During the winter of 2019, Bruce Calvin and I worked to establish a small group gathering of spiritual directors in the NOVA, WDC, MD area and currently meet at Mt. Olivet UMC on the third Sunday of the month